Thursday 3 March 2011

The Last Days in Dublin

I’ve spent the last two days walking around Dublin and meeting friends for food and drinks.  The weather has been stunning, with clear blue skies and sunshine.  Dublin is really beautiful when the sun shines. 

On Tuesday I walked from Glasnevin to Ranelagh via Clery’s on O’Connell Street, stopping for a stroll through Merrion Square and a well-deserved break on a bench there!  I had lunch in TriBeca – a beautiful Lamb Tagine, and met Jessica and her new baby Sadhbh who is absolutely gorgeous.  I then walked back into town via Leeson Street and Stephen’s Green, and met Eimear for dinner in Wagamama.  Eimear and I then moved on to Oleysa’s wine bar on Exchequer Steet, intending to have desert and a glass of wine there.  As the deserts cost €7.50 each, we decided to share a bottle of wine instead.  It was the right decision.

On Wednesday my mother and I went into town early to buy three oversized sports bags in a bag shop on Liffey Street.  These sports bags are going to carry the final lot of my belongings from Dublin to Oslo.  The great thing about flying with SAS is that each of us has 23kg baggage allowance, plus 8kg hand luggage, included in the price of our ticket.  It really is a pleasure to be flying with an airline that appreciates its customers!

Following the purchase of the bags, I walked over the Ha’penny Bridge and through Crown Alley and Temple Bar to meet Sinéad and Pamela for lunch in Coppinger Row.  Lunch was lovely – stuffed aubergine with salad and parmesan – yum.  I then walked down to the National Gallery for a quick look at the Modern Irish Art exhibition there, before catching the DART out to Dun Laoghaire to meet Ellen.

In Dun Laoghaire, Ellen and I walked along the East Pier which looked magnificent in the light. We got some food in the Harbour Bar and Grill before heading home.  I had fish and chips.  It was that kind of day.

I’m really going to miss these people and this place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment